Wednesday, June 15, 2011

So You Took Santa Too Serious, and Now You Want Revenge.....


I've been working for the past few weeks, ever since I got back from England, on several paintings for an up coming art exhibit.  With the legend of Sasquatch serving as one of the main themes, I have been churning through past thoughts and ideas, trying to come up with the right and accurate way to represent the thought of Sasquatch in the mind of an over-revving imaginative child who is somewhere around 10 years old.
So I was just working away on several pieces that were similar to what I had done as a kid,  but they were lost paintings, with no real story or explanation to go along with them....

 but its ok,  it's all just part of the process with me.  Figuring it all out,  like driving a car somewhere that you don't have directions to, and being lost in the beginning but knowing your headed in the right direction.  


 So several paintings in and already feeling the edge of burnout, I was suddenly (the way as it usual happens) struck with an idea and excitement  that I could not get enough of, All at once that childhood fascination with Sasquatch was back like a disease that knew no cure.  And in very vivid details. 


I won't really explain or show too much here, because what good would an art show be if it had no surprises, and I just started uploading everything to the Internet that is going to be there? 




   The only explanation or meaning behind these paintings I can give.......... it's something that is not supposed to exist anywhere ever, yet such a subject can exist right in front of you and all around you if you believe in it and think about it often enough, and allow it to overtake your thoughts and influence your judgment.

Taking it all too seriously, and being obsessed,  It's almost like being crazy,  but your allowed these thoughts when your a kid.  Everything and anything seems possible.  Mostly because your brain is rapidly flooding and any information you get a hold of is looked at in an eager yet naive, and often times very seductive to young mind way.  And what's even crazier is that when your a kid everything seems to have no end point, it just goes on and on and on, all subjects everything is that way, dogs can talk, and dinosaurs are still alive somewhere on the Earth, Santa Claus is of course real, and you can even fly if you close your eyes tight enough and really think hard enough about it.   I could go on and on describing this forever,  but eventually you grow up and all that nonsense is meaningless to you.


On the paintings (Click on the pictures to enlarge), I write little messages on the back of each one,  describing a thought maybe? one that comes to mind when I think enough about the whole atmosphere I was in, the way I felt about it then with such seriousness,  coupled with laughable, and easily dismissing ways adults think about such subjects as a Sasquatch....



Now that I've began I don't  know when I will stop,  probably once I'm satisfied that this whole idea has been portrayed  in it's entirety through hours of late night brush strokes and dirty water....

No comments:

Post a Comment